
This Wordle was created by my friend, Jen Wagner, from the transcript of the speech that the president will deliver tomorrow at 12:00 EDT to the schoolchildren of America. I just finished reading the transcript and am wondering why so many people are so opposed to President Obama addressing the children of our country. Here is an excerpt: That’s why today, I’m calling on each of you to set your own goals for your education – and to do everything you can to meet them. Your goal can be something as simple as doing all your homework, paying attention in class, or spending time each day reading a book. Maybe you’ll decide to get involved in an extracurricular activity, or volunteer in your community. Maybe you’ll decide to stand up for kids who are being teased or bullied because of who they are or how they look, because you believe, like I do, that all kids deserve a safe environment to study and learn. Maybe you’ll decide to take better care of yourself so you can be more ready to learn.
I found his speech to be very motivating and delivers a message of the importance of a good education. He encourages them to set goals, ask questions, and do the best they can do. Is that a subversive message?
I think these are things that each parent should be saying to their children every day as they head off to school. As a teacher, I know I strive to be the best educator I can be, and want my students to ask lots of questions. Setting goals is a great way to stay focused on the important things in life. I was the first person in my family to earn a college degree and know first hand the value of a great education. I spend a hour or more everyday continuing my educational journey online and value all the technology tools that enable me to learn something new everyday.
As I face my students everyday, I hope that they will catch the learning fever that burns inside of me and strive to be the best that they can be.









3 comments:
Great post Paula :) I don't get the whole hubbub over the speech either, except to say that many people are becoming passive when it comes to important things in life--and they need to be more active.
Sounds like you're already in the game and doing well :)
Elaine
You are so right. I read it too and can't imagine what all the fuss is about. His comments are no different than what every parent should tell their children. Hope his message helps students to try harder.
The ruckus was about the original speech not the revised one that he actually gave. I personally think the the one that he gave should be read by every school child in America. The original one was causing me to consider keeping my daughter home. The part that was taken out made all the difference.
Post a Comment